Eww… irking feeling sinking inside, matting the fibers of your beautiful carpet…Cleaning your home carpets, it’s no joking matter.
While professional carpet cleaning companies use several carpet cleaning methods to clean, its pays to be aware of the pros and cons of each method lets weigh them out together.
Falling into two basic categories; dry cleaning or wet cleaning. Wet cleaning includes hot water extraction and can include cleaning with an absorbent pad. Dry carpet cleaning involves the use of chemical powders or foams applied by special machines with counter rotating brushes, pads or cylinders.
➢ Wet cleaning
Also known as hot water extraction or steam cleaning, the carpet is first pre-conditioned with a chemical reagent that liquefies soils and oil-based substances which may be present in the carpet fibres. Water is heated to a temperature near its boiling point and pressurized, then injected into the carpet. After about 10 to 15 minutes, the solution is extracted with a vacuum.
- This method gets out soiling from deep within the carpet.
- Allows the use of high temperatures, pressures and chemical concentrates. o Permits extended dwell times for reaction of cleaning solvents.
- Chemical reactivity facilitated by agitation with grooming tool or extraction wand.
- Recommended by carpet manufacturers and industry cleaning experts and professionals. Most widely used method.
- Relatively long drying time, which can be reduced with the use of powerful equipment and competent technicians.
- Expensive equipment usually required for maximum efficiency, relating to its high cost factors.
Cleaning with Absorbent pad.
The carpet is first vacuumed, and then a chemical solution is sprayed on to it with a hand pump or electric sprayer. The solution is allowed to stay on the carpet for a suitable dwell or reaction time.
The absorbent pad or bonnet, which looks like a towel, is placed on the drive block of a rotary floor machine and spun over the carpet surface at 100 to 300 rpm. This action serves to impregnate the carpet fibres with the chemical solution and then pick it up with the soils afterward.
- Fast, simple and inexpensive.
- Excellent results with lightly soiled carpets.
- Only cleans the top one-third of carpet fibres, incapable of reaching deeper down.
- Leaves dirt and chemicals to accumulate at the bottom of the carpet fibers.
➢ Dry cleaning
With absorbent compound
A powder that has been mixed with special solvents and cleaning agents is spread over the carpet, and then worked into the carpet fibres with a machine fitted with counter-rotating brushes. The powder absorbs soils in the carpet fibres. After it’s allowed to set on the carpet for 10 to 15 minutes, it’s vacuumed up.
- Simple system with no special technical training required.
- Fast drying, it typically only takes about 20 minutes before the carpet can be back in service.
- Powder may be trapped in plush pile carpets and left to build up over time. o Can cause excessive dust build-up in the home.
- Unable to clean deep down into the carpet.
Dry foam or rotary shampoo method
A cleaning agent is applied to the carpet to help suspend dirt and debris in the carpet, which is then whipped into foam and worked into the carpet fibres with the rotating brushes of a special machine. After a short time, the foam is extracted with a vacuum.
- Fast, simple to apply and inexpensive.
- Rotating brushes provide excellent agitation.
- Small amount of moisture allows fast drying of carpet.
- Unable to achieve thorough soil extraction below the surface of the carpet. o High temperatures usually not achieved.
- Excessive wetting possible with equipment malfunction.
Now that you are informed of the types of cleaning methods, let me remind you of the main benefits carpet cleaning. It can start to feel like a tall order for many home owner’s pockets. But the compelling reasons below, will have you stuffing all your furniture in the kitchen and getting those carpets cleaned.
- Instagram worthy rugs, isn’t easy without due maintenance. A period of 6 months to a year is recommended for carpet depending on size and foot traffic in the room.
- An unclean carpet is like a dirty filter in your heating /ac vents, trapping pollen dust and allergens. Regular cleaning ensures a clean environment for your family.
Finally, cleaning carpets is the best way to delay a new carpet installed, with regular maintenance your carpets and rugs with last a good 10 to 15 years.